Sunday, September 17, 2006

Bunga Kantan?






Some of us really don’t know what is bunga kantan. Other name for it is bunga siantan or in English it called Torch Ginger. For me it is a very unique flower. They can be in very nice red or nice showy pink. Not only it’s a beautiful flower of a tall perennial look almost too pretty to eat but their flavour is an essential ingredient in some dishes. They are yummy in laksa and asam pedas too...


Most gingers are native to the fields and rain forests of Indo-Malaysia. Although more popularly known as a spice the flower of gingers are one of the more widely used tropical plants. Their bright red flowers can be seen during festival times in the South Pacific as colorful dresses. Bracts are also made into stunning leis (garlands) such as in Samoa where the red ginger lei is worn by royalty in important ceremonies. Shell gingers are also quite attractive and are well used in flower arrangements. Many gingers have medicinal uses from helping asthma to relieving stomach aches. Others gingers are used as perfumes and some are thought to have a supernatural values in casing away evil spirits. Also the Hawaiians used the foamy flower heads of the variegated wild ginger for shampooing hair and quenching thirst.


Why I named my blog Bunga Kantan? As you can see it’s a very nice flower that have it own flavour. I felt that I’m just like the Bunga Kantan. I have my own flavour that I wanted to share with others. Some times my flavour can be sweet, sour or spicy. I need you comment, advice and your support to make this blog to have as many flavour as it can. Have fun.

No comments: